Sunday, March 9, 2008

Day 2 Blythe,CA to Flagstaff, AZ

Again, at the moment I am still on a bit of a schedule to get to Colorado by Monday. Once there, the concept of getting somewhere on a specific day should be a thing of the past.

Today, I did jump on the I-10 for a 1/2 a mile to get myself to the 95 north. There are actually two 95s...one is a principle road the other a through road. I took the principle for about fifty miles then jumped on the 62 east as I thought it might be nice to check out Lake Havasu. Don't really know how they decide how different routes are categorized by the through 95 was better maintained. This was a fantastic drive...hard to drive over 50 as the scenery need a look.

Back in Blythe, the Bean Dog only got a short walk so I decided to pull off at one of the many camping areas along this route. We just happened to stop off at Shoreline along Lake Havasu. Camping is $20 and it looks like it is $10 to chill for the day (I assume this is because most folks are there with boats etc). When I told the ranger that I just wanted to exercise my dog, she gave me a permit for $2. As it turns out this site has a mile and a half trail to a Dog Beach...how cool is that. After our hike, the Bean passed out for hours...almost forgot she was back there.

Pet Travel Tip: stop and take your beast for a long, long walk. It is good for you and will give you a sleeping, furry lump in the back of your car.

The remainder of this day is uneventful. Again with the get to CO timeline I decided to jump on the I-40 to Flagstaff. What I would suggest and have done in the past is to take old Route 66. This is a must do drive and if you have been on the I-40 for hours what a great break. You can jump on Route 66 at Topock and at Kingman. It is well marked in Arizona, just keep a look out for the brown Route 66 signs along the I-40.

No comments: